What is CompetitiveSkate?
CompetitiveSkate is a program for skaters in singles, pair and ice dance wishing to compete in qualifying events within Skate Canada.
It’s more than just skating!
Skaters enrolled in CompetitiveSkate learn a variety of life skills as they progress up the competitive ladder. These include goal setting, focus, ability to deal with success/failure, time management and principles of fair play and sportsmanship. In addition to the life skill benefits, skaters in this program receive:
- access to provincial and national funding programs (as applicable)
- the opportunity to be selected to Skate Canada’s National Team
- the opportunity to compete at Skate Canada Sectionals, Skate Canada Challenge, and/or the Canadian Figure Skating Championships
- opportunity and potential to be selected to represent Canada internationally
- access to sport science services
If I Participate in the Competitive Program, is that All I Can Do?
No! Many skaters who compete in the qualifying event structure also take tests in Skate Canada’s STARSkate Program or participate on synchronized skating teams. The only events that you may not be able to compete in are club, and STARSkate events, some which restrict entry of skaters who have competed in the qualifying event system.
More information can be found on Skate Canada’s Website.